Pirates can do it too!!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Graduation Blunders

Today was the last high school graduation I'll have to attend until next year! I'm SO glad. It's great to know lots of kids and for them to invite me to their ceremonies and open houses. I stupidly made a rule this year that if I was personally invited to an open house I would buy them a gift. I think the count was at 2 when I made this rule. "Not bad," I thought...until I was invited to 8 more.

I actually attended 4 ceremonies. I missed one because it was the same night as another. Today was the best one, hands down. Instead of just allowing the valedictorian and salutatorian and maybe a student council member to speak, they have try outs. That's right, it is made a competition. I think EVERY school should do that. Yes, yes I know that it is an honor that some enjoy. Not that I didn't enjoy the speeches at my graduation. Seriously. I believe that the co-valedictorians both said that it wasn't worth it to get to where they were. (Isn't this true?) That brings me to another point that most people who spoke said either, "faculty, parents, and family, thanks for everything," or"I realize that it doesn't Really matter what I say, because no one will remember anyway." Sometimes we were blessed to hear both. At my lovely almamater, every person who spoke said the first mentioned, then they also briefly mentioned the 3 people who had died from their class throughout high school, including one teacher. However, they completely missed the opportunity to honor the memories. Maybe my expectations are just skewed.

At the local rival school, I sat by myself in a less than airconditioned gym. Wait, I did sit by someone. I didn't know her, and when I sat, I asked if it would be okay. She grunted yeah, but was nudged by her friend who whispered something. I wasn't sure what was said, so I again asked if she was sure. She then clearly said, "yeah it's fine." I soon discovered that the whispering must have included, "our very tall long legged friend is going to sit there." "Cool," I thought, when I was shifted so that half of one butt cheek was hanging off the bleacher. Did you know it is practice at said school to get up and leave after the person you are there for has walked the stage? That's what they did. Not only that, but the crowd NEVER ceased the very audible murmer.

I think next year I'm going to have a scoring sheet and score them accordingly. That way when I have to sit through one with my family in 3 years, I'll enjoy it.

2 Comments:

Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Man... sounds brutal. Which school has try-outs? That *is* a good idea.

I believe the co-v's said something to the effect of, "This wasn't easy and, though I don't entirely regret what I've done, I wish I'd had a little more fun along the way." You know, carpe diem sort of nonsense. Oh, and there was a reference to Full House I think, too.

Monday, June 05, 2006

 
Blogger XOXO said...

This proves the point that "most" people don't remember what is said. One kid from a green and yellow school which had the try-outs said "insert witty graduation speech here."

Monday, June 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home