Pirates can do it too!!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Who wants to be a parent?

I love it when people look down on me. OK, really I don't, but what can you do. So I teach these classes to parents of delinquent kids. One I teach is partially voluntary, and the other is specifically court ordered. I know it can't be easy to be made to go to a class about parenting taught by a woman with no kids. Not to mention I look younger than I am. It's frustrating for me to teach a court ordered class (Ped) for five days when I can teach another one (PP) for 16 weeks and I know it has amazing results. I have so much faith in PP that I have the link on here. My problem is the fact that I don't have much faith in the Ped mostly because I haven't seen good results and the parents can see my lack of faith. Which is what happened tonight when a dad called me out. Maybe I was wrong, but my response was that my lack of faith is not that in itself, rather my desire to not talk down to the people having to sit through 5 hours of their life with me. He was not accusing as I have had before. He was just inquiring why I don't talk the program up. Don't get me wrong, this group I have right now is harder to teach to because they actually already have a clue. They have sought out counseling, and other means to improve their kid's behavior. Too often though, I have people come through that have never heard many of the ideas I express to them. It amazes me. Not only that, but the never do anything we suggest i.e. counseling, additional parenting classes, putting their kid on probation, etc... I guess my attitude is not that I don't have faith in Ped, it's because I know the right way to teach (PP) and want to do it that way. However, I can't take bits and pieces from PP. For one, because it isn't allowed, and secondly, it wouldn't work.

My rant is this: why do people with the most loving, stable home environment have problems getting pregnant, when there are people who don't have a clue breeding like rabbits?

3 Comments:

Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I know this is terribly immature of me — and this is a very serious issue — but I half-wonder if you wrote some of this to amuse me. I mean "I have so much faith in PP...." and "I know the right way to teach (PP) and want to do it that way" and "I can't take bits and pieces from PP."

Even better, I kept reading "Ped" and "Pee'd."

Oh, my.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

 
Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

But on a more serious note, I can certainly see why PP is more effective that PED. If you're forced to do something, it makes you want to do it even less. But if you volunteer to learn something... chances are, you will.

And, yes, always a bit of a bummer about the pregnancy issue. I think, once again, the two conundrums are related: oftentimes the people who can't afford kids — and/or bear the responsibility — are not only the ones who keep having them... they're also the ones who care less about being good parents. I hate to say it, but class and intelligence both have a lot to do it.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

 
Blogger XOXO said...

Oh man! I seriously did not get the PP thing? Either way. It was the best way for me to describe them. Now that I read my post with your immature nature, it does amuse me more.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home