Pirates can do it too!!

Monday, September 18, 2006

Not So Much the Traffic...

In response to a fellow blogger's account of her daily commute, I feel I should voice my side. Obviously, she is talking about "big city" livin', and I'm talking about "country life." Both seem to evoke frustrations. I wonder which is better?

Last evening started with the realization that I can not sleep in my own bed because Nora's fleas have overtaken it. I stripped my bed and decided I would sleep in my "guest" room for a bit. Though the guest room is cozy, I couldn't help but to think I may have bugs crawling on me. Whether they were or not, is unsure. However, after rubbing down with bug repellent lotion, I felt much more at ease.

Thunder made Nora wake me with barking multiple times, as did my vivid dreams about the most recent book I've listened to while driving. It's amazing how I can visualize so much more when I hear it.

So, I wake (finally) with Nora pushing me off the bed and trying to use my extra pillow. It was really dreary today, which made it hard for me to motivate. By the time I got Nora to "potty" in the rain, I left much later than I had hoped.



To Work:


  • Stop by the post office to pick up mail I was too late to get on Saturday. While there, I narrowly avoid a conversation with the post master about my mom and dad's latest adventure by just saying hi and turning.
  • Drive in the rain with no vent/ fan for air circulation. Not to make a statement, but because time hasn't been on my side to get it fixed.
  • Swerve to miss a downed tree branch while the road kill fills my car. (at this point I think I had passed maybe 4 cars)
  • Return my audio book to find I owe 15 cents in a late fee. This would have been no problem, except my car was on the opposite side of the building, it was raining, and of course, my money was in there. I had to click out with my high heels on the marble floors to go get the change, then click back in, so I could get the sequel to the book that gave me weird dreams.
  • The rest of the way was filled with passing a street sweeper (we have those here), confused motorist at a usually changing traffic light, that today chose to blink red. I swear I could see this one lady trying to turn right in a direction no one else was going saying to herself, "ok I stopped, they stopped, I go?, or do they? Maybe I should." I was the only car headed in my direction.

In Between:

I got in to my office and quickly shut my door. (If I don't shut my door, my coworkers think it is free game to take a seat) As inattentive as I am, this does not work for me. I was able to catch up on things that have been lagging. However, when I needed to use the restroom, I wouldn't leave for fear of them knowing I was there.

As I sat contemplating which client I would work with and contact for the day, I was torn as to which kid is more in need. Is it the one in foster care that is in 7th grade, but can't tell you what 25 plus 5 is? Maybe I should call the kid that is pending expulsion for having Xanax at school without a prescription. (he claims he was feeling depressed and the other kid told him it would make him feel better. He is currently going through drug abuse counseling.) What about the kid that is in a behavioral center because he wants to die and is only 9? I should check on the 8th grader whose dog just died from rat poison. (they called the vet as soon as it happened, but didn't have money for treatment, so they had to watch the dog bleed to death. Thank God that didn't happen to Nora.) I should see the kid that is 7 and her mom blames her for her 8 year old brother being put in placement, right? Instead I chose to see my kid in 8th grade that was arrested last spring because he decided to get drunk and walk the streets in the middle of the night. Boy am I glad I did. *sarcasm seething*

The kid I devoted my time to is on probation, and has recently started to get in trouble. He had to have a meeting with all of his teachers to tell him he is close to having ISS. If that was me, I would have been crying out of fear. I mean ALL of his teachers were there crowed around him telling him that either he needs to straighten up, or that he is better than that.

He was apathetic throughout the time. When just the two of us met, I asked him about his girlfriend. She actually met him at his locker while I was standing there. She wrapped her arms around him and literally hung on him. When she asked him what he was doing after school, he told her counseling, then introduced me. This girl barely even looked at me. I swear I thought they were going to freaking get it on while I was right there. When she walked away, she said, "I'll see you later baby." Ok. I get it. They are together. Mind you, last week I had not even heard this girl's name. Now I find out he is carrying around condoms in his wallet. Blech!!

I asked him if he had had sex to which he laughed and told me it was none of my business. I asked him what he would do if he got this girl pregnant. [I couldn't make this crap up.] He told me he would quit school to support the kid, and that he thinks it will be cool to be a dad. Mind you, he is 14 and she's 15. I literally had to stop talking to him and put my head down to pray at one point because I thought if he said one more ridiculous thing I was really going to punch him.

I took him home and then taught a parenting class which lasts only 1 hour for 5 days as opposed to the other one I teach that lasts 3 hours and meets 3 times. Two parents came. One of which already took this class, and should be taking my 12 week course, and one whose kid has rarely been in trouble. Interestingly enough, we talked about conflict. Good times!

From Work:

  • I debated with myself on whether I would get gas today or tomorrow. I know it will be at least 10 cents higher in the town I'll work tomorrow. I'll have the same deficit as today, only have to pay more. I know it doesn't make sense. I didn't stop.
  • I drove out of town into the country without incident. In fact, I don't think I passed anyone once I went through the last light of my day.
  • As I drove down the road towered by corn stalks, my ring glittered really bright which made me look. (I know, "ha! made you look!") As I looked back up, I realized a small red car had pulled out in front of me to cross where the stalks are the most dangerous. Dad lost a friend there before I was even born. I barely had time to break at all. However, that small break saved me and the idiot from sure catastrophe. I admit, I honked. I had no time to gesture.

Once Home:

Nora was so happy to see me, she rolled over outside and started to tinkle. As I considered taking a nap, Nora thought otherwise. Eventually she ran to the neighbor's with the garden. I had to pick her up and carry her back. While doing this, she bit and scratched me. I think she hurt herself more, because she would throw herself on the ground like a 2 year old having a tantrum. I heard her head hit at least once and her butt twice.

R&R:

I did this while Nora was spending "time out" in her kennel.

In Sum:

No, I can't write like my friend. Yes, the fleas have got to go. My clients' do all have some pretty big issues going on right now. However, if I had to choose the city mouse, or the country mouse, I'd choose country every time.

4 Comments:

Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

In the city, they aren't "mice" -- they're rats. And I say that knowing full well where I live.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our confidentiality officer has been contacted.

xxxx

ds

Thursday, October 05, 2006

 
Blogger XOXO said...

oh no! do we even have that?

Friday, October 06, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes, and she's very displeased.

ds

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home