Who's that Bully?
So I sat in a 6th grade classroom for the whole school day yesterday. Not because I wanted to, but because it's what I sometimes get paid to do. The teachers were sympathetic to the possible boredom I was facing. It wasn't THAT bad. Honest. I think the worst part was the last hour and a half of school I had a bit of deja vu. I'm not sure how many times I looked at the clock during that time. See, my job is more constant on the go, as opposed to cube life. Fortunately I don't have to ever sit and watch the clock for hours waiting for time to clock out or whatever. My problem is I'm not allowed to work overtime. So today I have a ton of things to do, but can't clock in until 11am. Boo hoo, I know. But it is a pain.
Anyway, 6th grade...
I figured out why some kids shoot up schools. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning this in any way AT ALL!! I'm just saying I watched this kid yesterday bully everyone he came in contact with. I'm not sure how many times he punched, or slapped this one kid, maybe four or five. Every time he did, the teacher was out of sight. The other kid would tell him to stop, but the bully would laugh and call him a wuss or something and say he didn't hit that hard, and he was just playing. (they continued to work on a group project together even with the previous interaction) Bully called one kid a fat ogre, and another dirty. He continued to talk about both until they were out of his sight. He called people retards, stupid, idiot, faggot, gay, fat, dumb, dirty etc... Never ONCE did he get called out by his teacher. Why? Because everything he said was under his breath, but loud enough for me to hear 10 feet away, but not for the teacher in a room with kids working in groups and her roaming the room. Oh he always knew where the teacher was so he didn't get caught. The kicker is that he is a typical clean cut kid. In fact, his hair reminded me of my "Ken doll." He gets good grades, and always participates in class discussion. He was disciplined for hitting a kid earlier in the year. When the parents had to go through this class with me because of Bully getting in trouble, they were furious. They didn't understand why their son was in trouble. "He was just being a kid."
So tell me, was I wrong to want to beat the hell out of him?

1 Comments:
Sad thing is, he may never grow out of that.
Did you report his behavior to the teacher and/or intercede on his victims' behalf? Or was the bully the the one you were there to watch?
Friday, December 15, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home